School Lunch 101
School Meals Encouraging Fruits, Vegetables and Whole Grains
You may have heard that there are new requirements for school meals. Most of these new rules began for school year 2012-2013. In preparation for these new requirements the Grants Pass Nutrition Services Department already gradually began making changes before they were required.
Currently, school meals offer students milk, fruits and vegetables, proteins and grains, and they must meet strict limits on saturated fat and portion size.
· Students to have ½ cup of fruit and/or vegetables on their tray for it count as a full meal.
· A wider variety of vegetables, including dark green and red/orange vegetables and legumes will be required.
· Grains must be whole grain rich
· Separate age-appropriate calorie limits for 3 grade groups; K-5, 6-8, and 9-12.
· Fat-free or 1% milk (flavored milk must be fat-free)
· Less sodium