GPHS AVID Student Application - for 8th graders NOT in AVID now
GPHS Returning AVID Student Application - for current 8th grade AVID Students
Advancement Via Individual Determination
To close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
- Maintain enrollment in rigorous academic classes which lead to 4-year college eligibility.
- Maintain satisfactory attendance and behavior in all classes.
- Maintain an AVID binder with assignment calendars and daily Cornell notes from all classes.
- Complete all homework and dedicate at least 1-2 hours to studying and homework each night.
- Commit to community service activities throughout the year.
- Be an active and engaged participant in daily AVID activities.
- I understand my responsibilities and would like to be considered for acceptance into the AVID program.
- If selected for AVID, I understand that I must commit to remaining enrolled in the AVID elective for at least one year, and that I will be allowed to remain in the program only if I meet the student responsibilities outlined above.
- I understand that studies show I will be most likely to demonstrate academic improvement if I remain in the program at least three years and most likely to meet my goal of college enrollment if I remain in the AVID program through my senior year of high school.
- Parents and guardians agree to support their student in his or her path to college and to be an advocate for his or her success.
- Parents agree to attend at least one information meeting about AVID.
- Parents will ensure that their child is studying at least 1-2 hours after school and keeping an organized planner and binder.
Academic grades will reflect a student’s mastery of the skills according to AVID goals and standards. Extra credit will not be provided. Grading will run continuous during the semester.