Smarter Balanced Assessment Consortium (SBAC)
As winter comes to a close and spring begins, we also see the start of the Oregon State Assessment window. The Smarter Balanced Assessment is Oregon's state assessment that is administered in all public schools junior year.
The assessment measure students' skills in the areas of reading, writing, and math - all deemed as essential skills. We are able to use the data that is collected from these assessments as a foundation for school improvement efforts to prepare students to be college- and career-ready. This data is also used to assess our overall performance as a school community and one of the first pieces of data that our larger community looks at.
We are proud of the work our students do here at Grants Pass High School and believe that assessment data and participation should reflect that - it contributes to the PRIDE in our community. Please reinforce to your juniors the importance of taking this test and putting for their best effort. Thank you!
Here are some other important points to note:
- Scores on the SBAC can only help students and not hurt them.
- These tests have been designed to help students meet Oregon High School Graduation Requirements.
- Fulfilling graduation requirements will help students avoid taking intervention classes seniors.
- Individuals scores on the SBAC are in no way reflected on a student's transcript.
- Schools in the Oregon University System and Oregon Community Colleges will waive placement exams for students who meet readiness standards via SBAC scores.
- Our school's performance on the SBAC is related to our school rating and the state can penalize schools that do not meet the 95% participation requirement.
- Tests will be on the computer and measures skills in reading, writing and math.
- Testing Dates:
- English Language Arts Performance Task (Writing): In 11th English classes April 3-10
- English Language Arts Computer Adaptive Test (Reading): In 11th US History classes April 11 - 18
- Mathematics Performance Task and Computer Adaptive Test: In Math classes April 19-26
- Any student who is in an 11th grade AP-level course will not take the SBACs in that class during April to fully utilize all class-time in preparation of AP Exams (e.g. AP US History, AP Calc 1, AP Statistics, etc.)
Smarter Balanced Fact Sheet for Parents
Please contact Mr. Sale
with any questions.