Inclement Weather Information
With the winter months come the possibility of school closures and schedule changes. The decision to change school schedules because of adverse conditions is based on one factor: the safety of all students and staff.
Please get information via public announcements on radio, TV, and the internet about school closures or delays. These announcements are generally made after 5:30 A.M. – check this site often as weather conditions can change rapidly. Please do not call the school district transportation department, the school district administration building, individual schools, or radio stations for information. Answering these calls will reduce our ability to take other necessary action in responding to a weather crisis. All families are encouraged to have a plan in the event school must close before the regular dismissal time.
In case of bad weather, you can expect to hear one of five possible announcements (if there are no radio, TV, or internet announcements about changes, it means we will be operating with regular procedures):
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are open and running a two hour delay schedule.
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are open, and buses are running “Snow Routes."
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are open, on a two hour delay; “Snow Routes”.
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are closed – only designated “essential staff “ report to work.
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are releasing early – buses will follow the District’s early release protocol.
When schools are closed for the day, we will monitor the weather and review all community and school activities held in the public school buildings to determine if they can be held or will be cancelled. This includes all scheduled athletic events at home and away.
Radio Stations: KLDR – 98.3, KKRM, KRWQ – 99.3 & 100.3, KAJO – 1270, KCNA, KAKT, KCMX, KTMT, KBOY
Television stations: KDRV–CH 12, KOBI–CH 5, KTVL–CH 10.
Snow (Alternate Routes)
This information will be posted on the home page immediately upon determination. Click here for maps that show those streets that would not have service when we are running “Snow Routes”.
- When are decisions made about school closures?
- What factors go into the decision?
- Is there a set temperature that would cause the district to close schools?
- Does the school district ever close some schools and leave others open?
- Other school districts have delayed openings, but Grants Pass School District 7 rarely does this. Why?
- What about school bus transportation when the weather is bad?
- Sometimes schools have power outages or other emergencies such as broken pipes. When this happens, what is the procedure?
- What happens when the number of school days lost due to emergency school closures exceeds the number of school days required by the state?
- How can I make sure my student is safe?
- How can I find out about school closures or changes in schedules?