Inclement Weather Information
With the winter months comes the possibility of school closures and schedule changes. The decision to change school schedules because of adverse conditions is based on one factor: the safety of all students and staff.
All weather-related closures or delays will be communicated to staff, students, and families via ParentSquare. Information will also be posted on our website and shared with local radio and television stations. These announcements are generally made at 5:30 A.M. Please do not call the school district transportation department, the school district administration building, individual schools, or radio stations for information. Answering these calls will reduce our ability to take other necessary actions in responding to a weather event. All families are encouraged to have a plan in the event school must close before the regular dismissal time.
In case of bad weather, you can expect to hear one of three possible announcements (if there are no radio, TV, or internet announcements about changes, it means we will be operating with regular procedures):
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are open and running a two-hour delay schedule.
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are closed – only designated “essential staff“ report to work.
- Grants Pass School District 7 schools are releasing early – buses will follow the District’s early release protocol.
When schools are closed for the day, we will monitor the weather and review all community and school activities held in the public school buildings to determine if they can be held or will be canceled. This includes all scheduled athletic events at home and away.
Radio Stations: KLDR – 98.3, KKRM, KRWQ – 99.3 & 100.3, KAJO – 1270, KCNA, KAKT, KCMX, KTMT, KBOY
Television stations: KDRV–CH 12, KOBI–CH 5, KTVL–CH 10.
- It's snowing! Do we have school today?
- When are decisions made about school closures?
- What factors go into the decision?
- Is there a set temperature that would cause the district to close schools?
- Does the school district ever close some schools and leave others open?
- Other school districts have delayed openings, but Grants Pass School District 7 rarely does this. Why?
- What about school bus transportation when the weather is bad?
- What happens when schools are released early?
- Essential Personnel: Who is expected to report to work?
- Sometimes schools have power outages or other emergencies such as broken pipes. When this happens, what is the procedure?
- What happens when the number of school days lost due to emergency school closures exceeds the number of school days required by the state?
- How can I make sure my student is safe?
- How can I find out about school closures or changes in schedules?
Timeline at a Glance
- 4:00 a.m.: Grants Pass School District 7 Transportation Supervisor begins evaluating weather and road conditions.
- 5:15 a.m.: The Transportation Supervisor consults with the Superintendent regarding closing or delaying school.
- 5:30 a.m.: The Superintendent makes the final decision regarding the opening of schools.
- 5:30 a.m.: If school is delayed/closed, a notification is sent to all staff, students, and families via ParentSquare.
- 7:00 a.m.: The deadline for changing a school delay to a school closing.
On the day following an inclement weather day, Grants Pass School District 7 will confirm whether schools are operating on a regular schedule.
- Two-hour delay = Due to inclement weather conditions, students will be picked up at their regular bus stops two hours later than the regular schedule. All schools will begin 2 hours later than normal.
- Closed = Due to inclement weather, all schools are closed for the day. All students remain home. All school buildings are closed. If safe, only essential personnel report to work.