Canvas for Parents
Grants Pass School District 7 recently announced that we would be utilizing the learning management system, Canvas, for the 2020-21 school year. This message serves as an introduction to parents and guardians about Canvas and provides some resources for you to learn more about it prior to the start of school. Students will also be receiving information about their Canvas accounts. There will be so much to learn over the next few weeks, so please take some time to familiarize yourself with it.
What is a learning management system?
A learning management system (LMS) is a software that creates a digital classroom. It aids teachers in teaching and students in learning. It’s a one-stop-shop for sharing, storing, communicating, and tracking online learning information. Canvas is our LMS. This is very different from Google Classroom that we were using last spring.
What is Canvas?
Canvas is an LMS that allows teachers to provide instructional support, class calendars, assignments, and resources for students in a safe online environment. For traditional face-to-face classes, Canvas is an integral part of sharing blended classroom instruction. It also provides clear communication tools from teachers to both students and parents.
This resource will provide you with specific information about your student’s curricula so you have a better understanding of the work that teachers and students are doing. We hope you use this information to communicate to your students the importance of mastering the skills and content in their classes.
What is the Parent Observer Role in Canvas?
Observers have limited permissions that allow them to see what is going on in a course and a calendar of assignments. Like students, Observers cannot view a course until it is published and the course has started. For assistance with Assignments, Test Dates, Quizzes, or other Canvas course content, please contact your student’s teacher.
What can Parent Observers view in Canvas?
Below are the features available to Parents and Guardians. Please note that not all courses use all features:
- Notifications (which can be set by users so you don't receive 1,000 emails a day!)
- View the Dashboard
- View the Course Syllabus
- View prompts (but no participation in class discussions)
- View (but not submit) assignments
- Preview and download some files
- View assignment grades/scores just like in PowerSchool
- View the class calendar
- Communicate with the teacher.
Canvas Parent Mobile APP
The Canvas Parent app is the mobile version of Canvas that helps parents stay up-to-date with their student’s courses. Download the Canvas Parent app on Android and iOS devices. See the Canvas Parent Mobile Guides.
How to log in to a student account:
- Using your Chromebook:
- Log into your D7 account
- Canvas will be your student’s start page
- Using another device (use the Chrome Browser):
- Go to www.google.com
- Log into your student D7 Google account
- Canvas will be your student’s start page
- To access your Canvas account on any device:
- Visit grantspass.instructure.com
- Log on using your D7 account
How to create a parent account:
- Visit canvas.instructure.com
- Click “Need a Canvas Account? Click Here, It’s Free!”
- Click the link for “Parents sign up here”.
- Enter your information, and create a password.
- Input the 6 digit student pairing code.
- Have your student generate a pairing code from their Canvas account.
Video tutorial to generate pairing code: https://youtu.be/MPa5qCkPjLk?t=138
Tutorial videos and other guides
- Setting up Canvas Parent App (less than 5 minutes): https://youtu.be/t-5sWZODhY8
- Understanding your student’s Canvas account (25 minutes): https://youtu.be/jqF2oo4O1SE?t=290
- Understanding your Parent Observer app (30 minutes): https://youtu.be/MPa5qCkPjLk?t=90
- Additional Canvas guides and tutorials: https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Canvas/ct-p/canvas
Again, we hope you will take the time to log in and familiarize yourself with Canvas before the start of the school year. It will be the primary tool your student’s teachers use for communicating class information and assignments. Your support is critical to ensuring student success.
We know you will likely have a lot of follow-up questions about Canvas. We hope to answer them during our virtual orientations, and we will be providing more tips and guides over the next few weeks.